Access to Care is a non-profit primary health care program for low-income, uninsured individuals living in suburban Cook County and northwest Chicago. The Access to Care program is administered by the Suburban Primary Health Care Council.
The program is a unique public/private partnership making primary health care and the ancillary pharmacy, laboratory and radiology services available to low-income individuals. Access to Care provides affordable diagnosis and treatment for illness to individuals and families for a small co-payment per doctor visit, procedure or prescription medication. Public funding and private providers form the public/private partnership.
Access to Care contracts with local providers throughout Cook County and pays them a discounted rate to provide services. Participating physicians choose the number of patients they will add to their practice. They are nominally compensated.
The program provides:
• Visits to your assigned Access to Care doctor for $5.
• Basic Lab and X-ray services for $5 per draw or procedure.
• Prescription medication for $15 (generic), $30 (preferred brand) and $40 (non-preferred brand). Brand name medications are available only at Walgreens.
You must re-enroll each year. If accepted, you will receive your ID card with your assigned physician and the physician’s phone number. You must call your doctor to make an appointment. Your assigned doctor must write all prescriptions, lab and radiology orders. If your doctor recommends a specialist, he/she will send in a referral form and an appointment will be arranged at either Stroger Hospital or Oak Forest Hospital, where payment is determined based upon income.
Bremen Township is an Access to Care registration site. To be eligible for Access to Care you must:
1. Live in SUBURBAN Cook County or northwest Chicago (west of Pulaski Road AND north of North Avenue).
2. Have family income of less than 300% of the federal poverty limit.
3. Have no health insurance (or a deductible of $500 or more per person) and be ineligible for Medicare, Medicaid, All Kids, FamilyCare or CountyCare.
Those who meet the eligibility requirements may call the Bremen Township office at (708) 333-9530 for an appointment and a staff member will assist with the application process. Visit accesstocare.org for more information.